Ebb and Flow

It's early Wednesday afternoon and I've already done four loads of laundry. It's been a busy day! The kids have decided that naps are not cool any more and I have found that finding time to work on writing or blogging or even just practicing my Irish Dancing has been hard to find. So!

Last night I had my dance class and it was WONDERFUL! It was four of us adults in the class and we flew through our dances and even started learning the Hard Jig. So exciting! I was smiling almost the whole class. I know I still have some little things I need to work on, like pointing my toes and kicking up my feet in the back during tip downs, etc. It's a lot of fun!

Two of my poems were recently published in the October issue of Verse-Virtual, an online poetry journal that really promotes poets supporting one another through positive comments and such. It's a lovely journal, full of meaningful poetry and insightful poets. Here is the link to my poems "Foghorns" and "Fossil Hunting with My Father:" Ophelia Leong in Verse-Virtual

In other fantastic news, a line from one of my early published poems is featured on a set of notecards, along with other poets. Made by the great people behind the online literary journal Mothers Always Write, the note cards are gorgeous and would make wonderful gifts! The line is taken from my poem "Song of Coos," which I wrote after my twins were born. :) Here is the link to read about them and purchase: Poetry Note Cards

I'd like to work on my novel again soon, since I feel like I am so close to finishing it. I have been perhaps spending too much time watching episodes of Call the Midwife on Netflix, but it's SO GOOD! I cry almost every episode, and it's such a well-made show. The actors are enormously good, even actors who only play a small part in an episode. I've just been so busy with the kids and the house that lying down and enjoying a great show is so relaxing. I'll find some time to get back into the flow of writing soon. Very energetic toddlers make it a little difficult. I've had to accept that I might not be able to write as much as I'd like to until my kiddos are in school, and that's okay. I need to take care of my family and some day my kids will be older and more independent, and I will find that I have a little more time to work on my projects. As I am writing this, all three of them are on the bed with me and going crazy. At least I can get a blog post done in the midst of the craziness, right? ;)

I will leave you all with a short poem from a vintage book I found at a local thrift store by Edna St. Vincent Millay. The book is entitled "Collected Lyrics" and was published in 1939, which is cool. :)

"Ebb

I know what my heart is like
     Since your love died:
It is like a hollow ledge
Holding a little pool
     Left there by the tide,
     A little tepid pool,
Drying inward from the edge."

What imagery! Such a succinct poem capturing very complex and sad emotions. That last line is what pulls it all together for me, and I find the lining of the stanzas very interesting as well. I find myself drawn to short poems that pack a lot of feeling into a few stanzas. I've written a few myself, and done right the last line can really pack a punch. Hope you all are enjoying your week! What have you been up to? :)


Comments

  1. Congrats on having your poems published! THAT IS AMAZING!! And I'm sure your little ones will grow up super fast, so do enjoy them while they're tiny. ;) hehe, I'm an aunt to two VERY active preschoolers and omg, just spending a day with them makes me want to sleep for 9 years. -_- So I can understand not finding time to do all the things. Still! I hope you do squeeze in some you time when you can! :D
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting about your poems being published! And I really like Call the Midwife as well! I watched it last year on netflix. ^ ^ It is indeed a very well done show. I hope you find more time to write soon!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First day back from Japan and BIG NEWS! :D

Two Special Pieces and Great News!

A Peek into Zalea's World: Part 1